The MacLaren Art Centre in downtown Barrie is the regional public art gallery serving the residents of Barrie, the County of Simcoe and the surrounding area. The Gallery has a permanent collection of 27,000 works of art held in trust for the public and presents a year-round programme of world-class exhibitions, education activities and special events. The MacLaren is housed in an award-winning building in downtown Barrie and the complex includes multiple galleries, an education centre, a sculpture courtyard, café, gift shop and framing department. The MacLaren is open to the public seven days week, excluding statutory holidays.
The MacLaren Art Centre is currently seeking candidates for the position(s) listed below:
Part-Time Contract Position
MacLaren Art Centre, Barrie
Reporting to the MacLaren Education Officer, the Artist Instructor is a practicing visual artist who works on behalf of the Gallery to deliver studio-based programmes (such as summer camps, art classes, PA days, Family Sunday workshop etc.) at the Gallery and outreach locations in the community. The main area of responsibility for the Artist Instructor is to teach children, youth and adults a variety of approaches to art making, employing a wide range of media while drawing inspiration from MacLaren exhibitions. In this capacity, the Artist Instructor functions as an ambassador for the MacLaren Art Centre as well as these long-standing programmes.
- BFA degree or college-level diploma in the visual arts
- At least one year in-class teaching experience with children, particularly ages 6 to 11 years
- Sound understanding of contemporary visual art and artistic practices
- Creative thinking and an innovative approach to programming
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Punctuality, flexibility and problem-solving skills
- A valid driver’s license and on-going access to a working vehicle
- A current criminal record check and vulnerable sector screening
- First Aid Certification is an asset
- Ability to lead programmes in French is an asset
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
This is a part-time contract position with hours as agreed and scheduled.
The MacLaren Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer serving our diverse communities. Although we appreciate all applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to supply a current criminal records check and vulnerable sector police screening before work can commence.
Please send a personalized cover letter and curriculum vitae in confidence to: Tyler Durbano, Education Officer, MacLaren Art Centre, 37 Mulcaster Street, Barrie, ON L4M 3M2 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the MacLaren Art Centre
The MacLaren Art Centre is the regional public art gallery serving Barrie, the County of Simcoe and the surrounding area. Housed in an award-winning building, the Gallery has a permanent collection of work by contemporary Canadian artists and presents a year-round programme of world-class exhibitions, education activities and special events. As a cornerstone of culture for the region, the MacLaren is a central meeting place for residents, a destination for visitors from across the province and a catalyst for downtown revitalization. The MacLaren offers a dynamic work environment that supports opportunities for professional growth, encourages creativity, fosters teamwork and rewards excellence. Employees enjoy a well-organized, stable organization and a collegial culture that emphasizes mentoring, coaching and skills development.
Marketing and Event Assistant
About the MacLaren Art Centre
The MacLaren Art Centre is the regional public art gallery serving the residents of Barrie, the County of Simcoe and the surrounding area. Our mission is to engage and enrich the immediate and larger community by providing innovative and relevant visual arts programming. The MacLaren Art Centre houses a significant collection of artwork held in trust for the public and presents a year-round program of world-class exhibitions, education activities and special events. The MacLaren offers a dynamic work environment that supports opportunities for professional growth, encourages creativity, fosters teamwork and rewards excellence. Employees enjoy a well-organized, stable organization and a collegial culture that emphasizes mentoring, coaching and skills development.
About the Job
The MacLaren Art Centre is looking for a Marketing and Event Assistant who is creative, highly organized and passionate about the museum field. This job will involve research and planning around digital content and social media creation to help the MacLaren meet its Strategic Plan targets of extending our reach into the broader regional community. The intern will assist with overall strategy and content creation for social media platforms: producing short video campaigns; adding MacLaren programming and events to community and cultural websites; photographing education programs, events, and retail items; updating our subscriber database; creating new social media campaigns around summer programs (exhibitions, education and special events); and assisting with interpreting social media analytics to evaluate strategies. This role also includes assisting with other design and marketing campaigns, as well as event-related duties as assigned. Some evening and weekend work is required.
The candidate must be a post-secondary Métis student between the ages of 15 and 30, and ideally enrolled in: Marketing & Communications, Media Communications, Digital Media, Graphic Design, Photography, Events Management or a similar field of study.
Duration: 16 weeks (ending August 27, 2021)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 9:00 to 5:00; some evening and weekend work is required
Suggested start and end date: May 10 2021 to August 27, 2021
- Must maintain a high standard of professionalism
- Must be personable, detail-oriented and able to work as a team member
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, SharePoint, Teams and PowerPoint
- Well-versed in social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Experience with social media scheduling tools (e.g. Hootsuite) is considered an asset
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and with standard video editing software is considered an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to lift up to 15 kg
- Must arrange their own travel to and from the MacLaren Art Centre on a daily basis
The successful candidate will be required to supply a current criminal record check and vulnerable sector police screening before work can commence.
Please apply with a personalized cover letter and resume no later than Friday, April 23, 2021. Email to: Tania Gregoire, Marketing and Events Manager at email@example.com.
TV Bingo – Host
Location: Rogers TV Station, corner of St. Vincent and Sperling Drive, Barrie, ON.
Reporting To: Development Director or Associate
Commitment: 1.5hrs. per week, approximately 50 weeks per year
Role of the TV Bingo Host:
The Host is the person who is seen on TV running the evening’s bingo games. They control the flow of the evening by explaining the rules of bingo play, introducing each bingo game and calling numbers until a potential winner is revealed.
- Addressing the general public on camera for approximately 3 minutes
- Explaining rules, playing procedures
- Announcing previous winners
- Drawing bingo numbers
- Manipulating the bingo machine by drawing and calling numbers, then resetting the machine for each game
- Good public speaking skills
- Friendly demeanor
- Proper appearance
- Able to multitask
- General knowledge of bingo
- Training will be provided on an as needed basis.
- Development of customer service proficiency
- Increased strength in communication skills/public speaking
- Can arrange their own transportation to and from the Rogers TV station.
Interested candidates can forward their resume to Peter Bogle, Development Associate, firstname.lastname@example.org, 705-720-1044 ext. 277.