Position Title: VanGo Artist Studio Assistant
Job Title: Casual Contract Position
Location: MacLaren Art Centre, Barrie
The MacLaren ArtCentre seeks a practicing visual artist to work on behalf of the Gallery delivering in-person and/or virtual programmes to children as part of the “MacLaren VanGo Programme” in schools throughout Simcoe County. The main area of responsibility for the VanGo Artist Studio Assistant is to work alongside the VanGo Artist Instructor providing assistance in the effective delivery of VanGo studio programmes to children enrolled in elementary schools. The Artist Studio Assistant position will begin in September and continue for the 2022/23 academic year, assisting in the delivery of VanGo programmes to students enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 8. In this capacity, the Artist Studio Assistant functions as an ambassador for the MacLaren Art Centre as well as this innovative outreach programme.
- Practicing visual artist with a BFA, college-level arts diploma, or equivalent life experience
- Experience teaching, or working with children
- Sound understanding of contemporary visual art and artistic practices
- Punctuality, flexibility and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to function as a team player and to work within a fast-paced environment
- A valid driver’s license and on-going access to a working vehicle
- A current criminal record check and vulnerable sector screening
- First Aid Certification
- Experience with remote teaching and related technologies
- Working knowledge of another language, particularly French or Indigenous Languages
- Familiarity with the Ontario Curriculum in the Visual Arts
Please send a cover letter, current resumé and portfolio of five (5) artworks via email to:
This is a casual contract position for the 2022/2023 academic year. The VanGo Artist Studio Assistant is expected to be available to work weekdays up to twenty-four (24) hours per week, as agreed and scheduled.
The MacLaren Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer serving our diverse communities. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. Although we appreciate all applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to supply a current criminal record check and vulnerable sector police screening before work can commence.
About the MacLaren Art Centre
The MacLaren Art Centre is the regional public art gallery serving Barrie, the County of Simcoe and the surrounding area. Housed in an award-winning building, the Gallery has a permanent collection of 27,400 artworks and presents a year-round programme of world-class exhibitions, education activities and special events. As a cornerstone of culture for the region, the MacLaren is a central meeting place for residents, a destination for visitors from across the province and a catalyst for downtown revitalization.